Saturday, March 14, 2009

To Guangzhou...

We started out the morning fresh. I felt so at peace walking through out Kawloon park this morning while so many people gathered for their Tai Chi. We all got a good night sleep. Unfortunately, Andrew has gotten an ear infection. And later in the day Jordan's pork sausages he had for breakfast didn't sit in his belly for long. But within minutes after tending to those concerns, we were off to the train station to Guangzhou. The train was smooth and went fast though it was 2 hours. We saw a lot- we are amazed by the levels of poverty and wealth. I know that is present anywhere, but it breaks my heart to see. The average house sleeps many and averages 800 sq ft and Shell was saying the average income is 120 yuan per month which is about $20. After going through customs (again) we were off by taxi (not really sure it was a taxi but the guy did a good job getting us to our hotel!) The "taxi" driver talked as i do to people who don't at first understand me, he just repeated the same thing over and over until I nodded. I did eventually think I understood much of what he was saying and was thankful he was showing me certain area we did not want to be but much of this area is nice. This is the place adoptees need to come before they leave the country so we saw many families here today. And at last, Shelly, Madeline, and Eli! What a great first impressions of this boy. He just jumped right in with the boys and played well. We went to a park...they played soccer and catch with some baseball gloves...they seemed to be the hit of the park with audience members taking pictures. A couple even stopped Andrew to take his picture- he wasn't quite sure why and why the woman wanted to pose with him. This city has beautiful parts to it, it is an island right along Pearl River. Again, completely American, had subway for lunch/dinner. And just lots of playing while Shelly and I got caught up. Tomorrow it sounds like we may be headed off to a Safari Zoo. Andrew and Jordan have already dozed off from the busy day. This hotel is very nice. I will post pictures later as my phone is charging. Of note, I haven't been able to figure out how to dial out on my phone from this place...it must use something different, I'll figure it out by week's end I am sure.
Peace.

1 comment:

  1. We are having tons of fun checking on you guys! We hope everyone is feeling a little better. Your cousin seems pretty cool.
    While you guys are eating at Subway and McDonald’s (Paula how was it?) we have decided to eat one of our favorite meals Chop Suey in honor of your trip. We also did a little background check on Chop Suey. My Mom thought this was an Americanized food but after taking a look on Wikipedia we have discovered that it has roots from Taishan a district of Guangdong Providence. That is where you guys are!
    We have a few questions….

    How warm is it by you?
    Do you like the hotel?
    What is your favorite site that you have seen?

    Brad, Matt, Miss. Kathy

    ReplyDelete